use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour. Most of them are thrown
* Once an aluminum can is recycled, it can be part of a new can
within six weeks.
* There is no limit to the amount of times an aluminum can can
* If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000
trees each year.
* The average household throws away 13,000 separate pieces of
paper each year. Most is packaging and junk mail.
* Each ton of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 380 gallons of
oil, 3 cubic yards of landfill space, 4000 kilowatts of energy,
and 7000 gallons of water. This represents a 64% energy savings,
a 58% water savings, and 60 pounds less air pollution.
* About one-third of an average landfill is made up of packaging
* The U.S. is the #1 trash-producing country in the world at
1,609 pounds per person per year. This means that 5% of the world's
people generate 40% of the world's waste.
* On average, it costs $30 per ton to recycle trash, $50 to send
it to the landfill, and $65 to $75 to incinerate it.
We are pleased to welcome AmeriCorps member Dave Quinn, "Recycling
Coordinator" now through June, 2008. Dave will be helping
to boost Chatham's recycling efforts. We wish him all the best!
© 2007 by Bob Staake - All Rights Reserved